After reading the case study below, you will provide the patient with suggestions to increase his intake to prevent weight loss and muscle wasting. Please refer to the Grading section of this document for the distribution of these points. You will also find Writing Guidelines at the end of this document that will assist you in meeting the expectations for writing your care plan.
This assignment is intended to explore basic nutritional principles such as energy requirements, sources, and uses. Additionally, you will formulate nutritional assessments and describe nutritional requirements corresponding to specific disease states. You will also examine how effective nutritional counseling is contingent upon collaboration, organization, and concurrence among the members of the health care team.
Perform the following tasks:
· Complete the reading assignment and the interactive lesson before attempting this assignment.
· Please review the following case study:
Steve Palmer has been undergoing chemotherapy for liver cancer. In the past 3 months, Mr. Palmer has lost 25 pounds from his pre-cancer weight of 190 lbs. He is 6 ft 2 inches tall. He reports decreased appetite, nausea, vomiting, and dry mouth. He reports feeling full quickly and extreme fatigue. His oncologist refers him to you for suggestions on increasing his food intake.
· Use your textbook to respond to the following questions (provide your responses in the Assignment Worksheet section on page 3)
· Submit the Week 8 Assignment via Blackboard by clicking on the “Week 8 Assignment” link.
· Include the proper file naming convention: SCI115_wk8_assn_jsmith_mmddyyyy.
|Gradable items in assignment||Points|
|Identify the main objectives for nutrition intervention in cancer patients||15|
|Calculate nutrient needs for protein, calories, and fluid||10|
|Discuss dietary suggestions for decreased appetite and nausea||5|
|Discuss dietary suggestions for xerostomia||5|
|Adhere to Writing Guidelines (see below).||5|