NUR 703 Week 7: Mental Health and Substance Use
This week you will understand how mental health and substance abuse are interconnected, which will help you to identify vulnerable and at-risk individuals. Prevention of mental health and substance abuse disorders and promotion of interventions to build healthy communities through policies and programs are key components to optimize public health.
You will be developing a Public Service Announcement poster to promote education of mental health or substance abuse. Keep it simple with a powerful message. Also, the third part of your mini-grant project is due at the end of the week, so be sure to review the provided presentation to better understand the details of what is required. I look forward to reading your final proposals.
Mental health and substance abuse are interconnected, therefore, identifying vulnerable and at-risk individuals and populations through screening tools and implementation of effective health promotion strategies can help optimize public health.
By the end of this lesson, you will be able to:
- Apply the Institute of Medicine (IOM) (now named the Health and Medicine Division (HDM) Prevention Framework to mental health and substance abuse disorders among vulnerable populations.
- Use epidemiological data to assess the burden of mental health and substance abuse disorders on the h health of the population.
- Examine cultural and stigma considerations involved in population-level interventions involving mental health disorders and substance abuse.
- Determine the budgetary and other resources needs for a community-based health promotion program.
- Develop a comprehensive evaluation and sustainability plan for a community-based health promotion program.