nsg 4055: Week 3 Discussion
nsg 4055: Week 3 Discussion
nsg 4055: Week 3 Discussion
Week 3 Discussion: Topic 2
Caregiver role strain occurs when a caregiver becomes overwhelmed and unable to carry out their role to the best of their ability. It is characterized by stress and anxiety. Financial pressure is the most important factor that causes caregiver role strain. The financial burden of taking care of a loved one causes immense stress (Kaur et al., 2018). Caregivers face financial pressures since they have to financially provide for their loved ones, as most persons are economically unproductive. As a result, the caregiver has to cater for medical bills, transport costs, and patients’ basic needs, resulting in financial strain (Kaur et al., 2018). Besides, caregivers are forced to take a leave of absence or work shorter hours, reducing their income and worsening the financial burden.
Caregiver strain can be assessed using the caregiver strain assessment tool. Examples of the assessment tools include the Modified Caregiver Strain Index (MCSI). MCSI can be used to promptly screen for caregiver strain with long-term family caregivers (Kaur et al., 2018). It is a 13-item tool that assesses strain related to care provision. The tool has at least one item for each of the following major spheres: Physical, Financial, Employment, Social, and Time (Kaur et al., 2018). The tool is used to assess persons of any age who have assumed the role of caregiver for an older adult. A positive reply to any of the index’s 13 statements should set off a more focused assessment and implementation of strategies to address the cause of stress.
Caregiver role strain can be reduced or prevented through preventive education, cognitive behavioral therapy, and counseling. The strategies can enhance the caregiver’s quality of life and the care recipient’s (Borji et al., 2017). Preventive education can focus on stress-relieve techniques for the caregiver such as meditation, deep-breathing, physical exercises, and restorative Yoga.
Borji, M., Nourmohammadi, H., Otaghi, M., Salimi, A. H., & Tarjoman, A. (2017). Positive Effects of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy on Depression, Anxiety and Stress of Family Caregivers of Patients with Prostate Cancer: A Randomized Clinical Trial. Asian Pacific journal of cancer prevention : APJCP, 18(12), 3207–3212. https://doi.org/10.22034/APJCP.2017.18.12.3207
Kaur, P., Bhalla, A., & Katyal, P. (2018). Strain among the family caregivers of patients with stroke. J Perioper Crit Intensive Care Nurs, 4(02). https://doi.org/10.4172/2471-9870.10000144
Review Healthy People 2020 Global Health Initiatives. Choose
one disease process and discuss the disease process, the goal of Healthy People
2020, and how the CDC plays a role in meeting the goal.
Search the South University Online Library for caregiver
role strain. What is the most important factor that causes caregiver role
strain? What can be done to prevent it?
Citations should conform to APA guidelines. You may use this
APA Citation Helper as a convenient reference for properly citing resources or
connect to the APA Style website through the APA icon below.
Discussion Questions (DQ)
• Initial responses to the DQ should address all components of the questions asked, include a minimum of one scholarly source, and be at least 250 words.
• Successful responses are substantive (i.e., add something new to the discussion, engage others in the discussion, well-developed idea) and include at least one scholarly source.
• One or two sentence responses, simple statements of agreement or “good post,” and responses that are off-topic will not count as substantive. Substantive responses should be at least 150 words.
• I encourage you to incorporate the readings from the week (as applicable) into your responses.
• Your initial responses to the mandatory DQ do not count toward participation and are graded separately.
• In addition to the DQ responses, you must post at least one reply to peers (or me) on three separate days, for a total of three replies.
• Participation posts do not require a scholarly source/citation (unless you cite someone else’s work).
• Part of your weekly participation includes viewing the weekly announcement and attesting to watching it in the comments. These announcements are made to ensure you understand everything that is due during the week.
APA Format and Writing Quality
• Familiarize yourself with APA format and practice using it correctly. It is used for most writing assignments for your degree. Visit the Writing Center in the Student Success Center, under the Resources tab in LoudCloud for APA paper templates, citation examples, tips, etc. Points will be deducted for poor use of APA format or absence of APA format (if required).
• Cite all sources of information! When in doubt, cite the source. Paraphrasing also requires a citation.
• I highly recommend using the APA Publication Manual, 6th edition.
Also Check Out: NR 393: Week 4 Discussion
Click here to ORDER an A++ paper from our Verified MASTERS and DOCTORATE WRITERS: nsg 4055: Week 3 Discussion
Use of Direct Quotes
• I discourage overutilization of direct quotes in DQs and assignments at the Masters’ level and deduct points accordingly.
• As Masters’ level students, it is important that you be able to critically analyze and interpret information from journal articles and other resources. Simply restating someone else’s words does not demonstrate an understanding of the content or critical analysis of the content.
• It is best to paraphrase content and cite your source.
• For assignments that need to be submitted to LopesWrite, please be sure you have received your report and Similarity Index (SI) percentage BEFORE you do a “final submit” to me.
• Once you have received your report, please review it. This report will show you grammatical, punctuation, and spelling errors that can easily be fixed. Take the extra few minutes to review instead of getting counted off for these mistakes.
• Review your similarities. Did you forget to cite something? Did you not paraphrase well enough? Is your paper made up of someone else’s thoughts more than your own?
• Visit the Writing Center in the Student Success Center, under the Resources tab in LoudCloud for tips on improving your paper and SI score.
• The university’s policy on late assignments is 10% penalty PER DAY LATE. This also applies to late DQ replies.
• Please communicate with me if you anticipate having to submit an assignment late. I am happy to be flexible, with advance notice. We may be able to work out an extension based on extenuating circumstances.
• If you do not communicate with me before submitting an assignment late, the GCU late policy will be in effect.
• I do not accept assignments that are two or more weeks late unless we have worked out an extension.
• As per policy, no assignments are accepted after the last day of class. Any assignment submitted after midnight on the last day of class will not be accepted for grading.
• Communication is so very important. There are multiple ways to communicate with me:
o Questions to Instructor Forum: This is a great place to ask course content or assignment questions. If you have a question, there is a good chance one of your peers does as well. This is a public forum for the class.
o Individual Forum: This is a private forum to ask me questions or send me messages. This will be checked at least once every 24 hours.