NSG 6005 Week 6 – Assignment 1 Discussion
MP is a sixty-five-year-old male who has recently retired
Select one of the two questions from the discussion questions listed below .By Week 6, Day 3, respond to the selected discussion question and submit your response to this Discussion Area .
Be sure to respond to the question using the lessons and vocabulary found in the reading .Justify your answers using examples and reasoning .Support your answers with examples and research and cite your research using APA format .
Start reviewing and responding to the postings of your classmates as early in the week as possible .Respond to at least two of your classmates’ posts .Participate in the discussion by asking a question, providing a statement of clarification, providing a point of view with a rationale, challenging an aspect of the discussion, or indicating a relationship between two or more lines of reasoning in the discussion. MP is a sixty-five-year-old male who has recently retired…..
NSG 6005 Week 6 – Assignment 1 Discussion Question 1
MP is a sixty-five-year-old male who has recently retired .He is coming in today for a complaint about pain in his back, knees, and hips .He reports that he has been experiencing this pain for the past six months, and he has been able to control the symptoms with OTC Advil .He describes the pain as stiffness and occasional shooting and aching pains radiating all over .He denies any swelling of his joints .However, the OTC medications are not working well, and he is here to see whether there are any other options he might try .On physical exam, he has tenderness on palpation on the right and left hips and both knees are positive for crepitus .All blood work is within normal limits .Answer the following questions:
- What additional information would you like to have? Does MP need any additional testing?
- What possible issues could contribute to his symptoms?
- He asks about injections to both knees to increase his comfort .How would you respond to that?
- What would your treatment plan be?
- For medications, include dosages and schedules .Include highlights of patient teaching and/or lifestyle alterations .Support your decisions with at least one reference to a published clinical guideline and one peer-reviewed publication .
NSG 6005 Week 6 Assignment 2 Quiz
1 .Question : Xi, a fifty-four-year-old female, has a history of migraine that does not respond well to OTC migraine medication .She is asking to try Maxalt (rizatriptan) because it works well for her friend .Which of the following actions would you take for appropriate decision making?
- Prescribe Maxalt, but to monitor the use, only give her four tablets with no refills .
- Prescribe Maxalt and arrange to have her observed in the clinic or urgent care with the first dose .
- Explain that rizatriptan is not used for postmenopausal migraines and recommend Fiorinal (aspirin and butalbital). MP is a sixty-five-year-old male who has recently retired
- Prescribe sumatriptan (Imitrex) with the explanation that it is the most effective triptan .
Question 2 .Chronic pain is a complex problem .Some specific strategies to deal with it include ________ .
- telling the patient to “let pain be your guide” to using treatment therapies
- prescribing pain medication on a pro re nata (PRN) basis to keep down the amount used
- scheduling return visits on a regular basis rather than waiting for poor pain control to drive the need for an appointment
- All the given options
Question 3 .Phil is starting treatment with febuxostat (Uloric) .Education of patients starting febuxostat includes which one of the following instructions?
- Gout may worsen with therapy .
- Febuxostat may cause severe diarrhea .
- The patients should consume a high-calcium diet. MP is a sixty-five-year-old male who has recently retired
- The patients will need frequent CBC monitoring .
Question 4 .The Pain Management Contract is most appropriate for:
- Patients with a history of chemical dependency or possible inappropriate use of pain medications
- All patients with chronic pain who will require long-term use of opiates
- Patients who have a complex drug regimen
- Patients who see multiple providers for pain control. MP is a sixty-five-year-old male who has recently retired
Question 5 .Patients whose total dose of prednisone exceed 1 gram will most likely need a second prescription for _________ .
- metformin, a biguanide to prevent diabetes
- omeprazole, a proton pump inhibitor to prevent peptic ulcer disease
- naproxen, an NSAID to treat joint pain
- furosemide, a diuretic to treat fluid retention
NSG 6005 Week 6 – Assignment 1 Discussion Question 2
EP is a twenty-five-year-old African American female who has just moved to town and comes to the clinic for her first visit .She has been diagnosed with fibromyalgia .She reports that her previous primary care physician (PCP) was treating her with opiates only .She has been taking hydrocodone/ibuprofen 7 .5 mg/200 mg four times daily but notes that this is not helping her .She is asking you for a refill of this medication and any additional treatment you can advise .On physical exam, she is in moderate distress and reports pain when being touched .Answer the following questions:
How would you validate the diagnosis of fibromyalgia?
How would you handle EP’s request for ongoing hydrocodone? Locate any evidence of the efficacy of this treatment for fibromyalgia .
Assuming that the diagnosis is , what would your treatment plan be?
Would you recommend any nontraditional therapies?