NSG 6630 Week 3 Project
Measuring and Improving Patient Outcomes—Part 1
As of October 2012, Medicare began paying hospitals based on their patient satisfaction scores, that is, how satisfied patients were with their care . One percent of payments are withheld from hospitals that did not score well; this one percent is then pooled and allocated as bonuses to hospitals with patient satisfaction scores that are above average on several measures .One of the roles of nurse executives is to be aware of how such healthcare policies impact their healthcare organizations .The purpose of this assignment is to describe the metrics used by the healthcare organization in which you are doing your Practicum II and how it is handling these issues.
This week, you will begin analyzing the process of measuring and improving patient outcomes in your practicum setting .You will build upon this assignment to conduct a SWOT (strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats) analysis in Week 5 .This week’s assignment provides you the opportunity to self-assess and determine any issues or challenges that need to be resolved prior to completing and submitting the Week 5 assignment.
Week 3 Tasks
Begin this assignment by having a discussion with your mentor and other key stakeholders in the organization in which you are completing your Practicum II .
Then, write a 1–2-page paper covering the following:
- Identify the measurements or outcome metrics being utilized in your practicum setting to gather and monitor patient satisfaction and patient outcomes data .
- Describe the current process of how, when, and by whom these data are collected .
- Describe the frequency with which the data are collected .
- Describe the process for sharing patient satisfaction and patient outcomes data with nurses, staff members, and other members of the healthcare delivery team .
NSG 6630 Week 3 Discussion
- Describe what you perceive to be a major challenge for nurses who have not been exposed to or worked with evidence-based research.
- Analyze evidence-based research related to nurse staffing patterns . For example, does having more staff always mean safer or more effective care? Give reasons for your answer.
- From healthcare administrators’ perspective, evidence-based practice takes time and resources . They may not be willing to support nurses working on evidence-based research since this does not involve direct patient care . Describe at least two strategies you would use to be certain you engage administrators and obtain their support for this important work.
NSG 6630 Week 5 Project
Measuring and Improving Patient Outcomes—Part 2
In W3: Assignment, you began describing and analyzing the process of measuring and improving patient outcomes in your practicum setting .This week, you will build upon your work by continuing your analysis and conducting a SWOT analysis .You will submit your assignment in the format of a presentation .
Begin this assignment by incorporating the instructor’s feedback on the assignment you submitted in Week 3 .
Then, prepare a 8–10-slide PowerPoint presentation covering the following:
Present the information you described in W3: Assignment 2, including the following:
- The measurements or outcome metrics being utilized in your practicum setting to gather and monitor patient satisfaction and patient outcomes data .
- The current process of how, when, and by whom these data are collected .
- The frequency with which the data are collected .
- The process for sharing patient satisfaction and patient outcomes data with nurses, staff members, and other members of the healthcare delivery team .
- Analyze the current status of the healthcare organization with respect to patient satisfaction and outcomes to date .
- Conduct a SWOT analysis of the process followed by your practicum setting to measure and improve patient satisfaction and outcomes .Use the SWOT matrix to present your analysis .
- Examine the role of the nurse leader in the structure, process, and outcome of gathering and monitoring patient satisfaction and patient outcomes data .
Use APA style and formatting for your assignment .Make sure to include the following in your presentation:
A title and a reference slide (these do not count toward the number of slides in your assignment)
Headings for each slide or section
Speaker notes in support of the information in each slide.
NSG 6630 Week 5 Discussion
- Explain at least three evidence-based strategies for integrating research into nursing leadership.
- Compare and contrast how research influences patient care and quality outcomes versus practicing from tradition.
- Analyze what you envision as the nurse administrator’s role in shaping evidence-based practice and nursing research in your clinical setting.
- Evaluate the role of the nurse administrator in staff performance and management and collective bargaining.
- Discuss the nurse administrator’s role in helping nurses develop a professional development plan (PDP).
- Explain how meetings can serve as productive engagement with nurses and staff and provide an opportunity to identify the actions required to meet the organization’s goals and mission.