HCS 341 WEEK 3 Job Description Matrix
Job Description Matrix: Create a matrix identifying internal and external recruitment strategies and methods as part of workforce planning needs; for example, strategies might include job fairs, online résumé submission, or planned networking events.
Complete the Recruitment Matrix template.
Include the following in the matrix:
- Five recruitment strategies or methods
- Internal or external strategy identification
- A detailed 200-word description of the strategy and why the strategy is appropriate for health care
Format your assignment according to APA guidelines.
Click the Assignment Files tab to submit the matrix.
Advantages of Recruiting Externally
As with any recruiting method, hiring from outside an organization instead of promoting from within the company carries both advantages and disadvantages. Let’s explore some of the advantages:
- When an organization recruits externally, it opens the organization up to a larger pool of applicants, which increases its chance of finding the right person for the job.
- External recruitment provides an opportunity for a fresh outlook on the industry that a company may need to stay competitive.
- Bringing in fresh talent from the outside can help motivate the current employees to produce and achieve more in hopes of obtaining the next promotional opportunity.
- Looking outside the organization also allows a company to target the key players that may make its competition successful. Hiring a candidate with a proven track record for the competition allows the company to get an insider’s view as to what the competition is doing to be successful. This gives the organization a chance to stay a step ahead of the competition.
- Hiring an external candidate also opens up many opportunities to find experienced and highly-qualified and skilled candidates who will help a company meet its diversity requirements.
Disadvantages of External Recruiting
There are some potential disadvantages of hiring an external candidate:
- It can take longer and cost more than hiring from within the organization.
- It can also damage employee morale because current employees may feel this lessens their chances for promotion. When employee morale decreases, productivity can also decrease.
- It also takes more time to train an external candidate on the systems the organization uses; therefore, taking the candidate a little longer to get up and running.
- It can be difficult to tell by a candidate’s information whether or not he or she will fit in with the company and its employees. While a new employee may bring fresh outlooks and ideas, this can be considered a disadvantage, because these ideas may produce conflict with current employees.