NSG 6005 Week 1 Assignment 2 Discussion
Interview a pharmacist and ask for his or her thoughts on your role as an APN
Select one of the two questions from the discussion questions listed below .By Week 1, Day 3, respond to the selected discussion question and submit your response to this Discussion Area .
Be sure to respond to the question using the lessons and vocabulary found in the reading .Justify your answers using examples and reasoning .Support your answers with examples and research and cite your research using APA format .
Start reviewing and responding to the postings of your classmates as early in the week as possible .Respond to at least two of your classmates’ posts .Participate in the discussion by asking a question, providing a statement of clarification, providing a point of view with a rationale, challenging an aspect of the discussion, or indicating a relationship between two or more lines of reasoning in the discussion .
Discussion Question 1
Interview a pharmacist and ask for his or her thoughts on your role as an APN .Ask the pharmacist to share his or her opinion about how well prepared APNs should be for this responsibility and what suggestions he or she may have for your future success .In your response, talk about who the pharmacist was, what was his or her educational background, and where he or she works and list the questions you asked .Reflect upon his or her words and ideas and discuss how you feel about his or her opinion and how this might help you in your future role .
Discussion Question 2
Informatics has provided multiple avenues for APNs to improve their practice .Identify one electronic source that can help you prescribe medications .Name the source and explain why this will be helpful to you in the clinical setting .List the types of information this resource provides and its limitations .Is there a cost associated with its use? If so, does the cost seem reasonable? Discuss the limitations, if any, the program has .Discuss why this program seems useful for you .
NSG 6005 Week 1 Assignment 3 Quiz
Question 1 .The U .S .Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulates:
- Prescribing of drugs by MDs and NPs
- The official labeling for all prescriptions and over-the-counter drugs
- Off-label recommendations for prescribing
- Pharmaceutical educational offerings
Question 2 .The U .S .Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA):
- Registers the manufacturers of, and those who are prescribers of controlled substances .
- Regulates NP prescribing at the state level
- Sanctions providers who prescribe drugs off-label
- Provides prescribers with a number they can use for insurance billing
Question 3 .Precautions that should be taken when prescribing controlled substances include:
- Faxing the prescription for a Schedule II drug directly to the pharmacy
- Using tamper-proof papers for all prescriptions written for controlled drugs
- Keeping any presigned prescription pads in a locked drawer in the clinic
- Using only numbers to indicate the amount of drug to be prescribed
Question 4 .Alterations in drug metabolism among Asians may lead to:
- Slower metabolism of antidepressants, requiring lower doses
- Faster metabolism of neuroleptics, requiring higher doses
- Altered metabolism of omeprazole, requiring higher doses
- Slower metabolism of alcohol, requiring higher doses
Question 5 .Incorporating IT into a patient encounter takes skill and tact .During the encounter, the provider can make the patient more comfortable with the IT the provider is using by:
- Turning the screen around so the patient can see material being recorded
- Not placing the computer screen between the provider and the patient
- Both A and B
- Neither A nor B