Description of the communicable disease (causes, symptoms, mode of transmission, complications, treatment) and the demographic of interest (mortality, morbidity, incidence, and prevalence)
NRS 427V Week 2 Assignment Benchmark Assignment: Epidemiology Paper
In a written paper of 1,200-1,500 words, apply the concepts of epidemiology and nursing research to a communicable disease.
Communicable Disease Selection
Choose one communicable disease from the following list:
5. Hepatitis B
Epidemiology Paper Requirements
Include the following in your assignment:
1. Description of the communicable disease (causes, symptoms, mode of transmission, complications, treatment) and the demographic of interest (mortality, morbidity, incidence, and prevalence).
2. Describe the determinants of health and explain how those factors contribute to the development of this disease.
3. Discuss the epidemiologic triangle as it relates to the communicable disease you have selected. Include the host factors, agent factors (presence or absence), and environmental factors. (The textbook describes each element of the epidemiologic triangle).
4. Explain the role of the community health nurse (case finding, reporting, data collecting, data analysis, and follow-up).
5. Identify at least one national agency or organization that addresses the communicable disease chosen and describe how the organization(s) contributes to resolving or reducing the impact of disease.
A minimum of three references is required.
Refer to “Communicable Disease Chain.”
Prepare this assignment according to the APA guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.
This assignment uses a grading rubric. Instructors will be using the rubric to grade the assignment; therefore, students should review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the assignment criteria and expectations for successful completion of the assignment.