Sample Answer for COUN 5004 Assignment 1 Counseling Specializations and Multidisciplinary Teams Included After Question
Use the assignment template provided in Resources to write your paper.
Evaluate the role of your specialization within the field of counseling. Begin with your own description of the field itself, including both the history and the philosophies involved. Then explain where your specialization fits and describe how your specialization might collaborate with one other specialization that you describe. Cite the articles or other sources you used for the basis of your ideas.
In this part, specifically address the following questions:
- How would you describe the key philosophies of the counseling profession: wellness, resilience, and prevention? Choose a wellness model and explain how that model impacts the way in which counselors view clients and the concerns brought to counseling, including the kinds of information counselors need to have about their clients.
- How have those key philosophies developed? Provide a brief historical perspective of the counseling profession focused on the key philosophies of wellness, resilience, and prevention. Include the beliefs and assumptions that support those philosophies.
- How did your specialization develop? Identify your preferred counseling specialization and describe how the specialization emerged or the profession developed, including the key ideas on which it is based.
- What other counseling specialization works well in collaboration with your specialization? Briefly explain how this other specialization developed, highlighting the ways in which it complements yours.
Now, select one of the following two cases as a foundation for illustrating what you have learned about counseling and how professionals in different specializations might work together to meet the needs of a client:
- Ashley, a 12-year-old girl, admits to one of her teachers that she feels very depressed. Her mother has recently remarried, and Ashley is having difficulty adjusting to life with her stepfather and his two children. She is not able to concentrate in class or do her homework.
- Paul, a 25-year-old man, seeks counseling at a community mental health center. He has recently returned from his second deployment to a combat zone. He reports drinking frequently and feeling anxious. Paul’s wife has tried to reassure him that everything is fine, but he is reluctant to leave the house and has missed more than a week of work.
After selecting a client, either Ashley or Paul, complete the following for Part 2:
- Analyze how professionals from your specialization and from the other specialization you examined in Part 1 might collaborate to benefit the person and family in the case study you chose.
- Describe the role and function of each of the professionals involved.
- Identify the characteristics that make each role unique and effective counselors for this case.
- Assess how to ensure good collaboration and communication between the professionals representing the two specializations.
- Identify the type of outside agency that could assist this client to promote optimal wellness, providing two examples.
- Explain the standards or criteria that you would use to evaluate the collaboration.
A Sample Answer For the Assignment: COUN 5004 Assignment 1 Counseling Specializations and Multidisciplinary Teams
Title: COUN 5004 Assignment 1 Counseling Specializations and Multidisciplinary Teams
The counselling specialization and multi-disciplinary highly depend on collaboration with other professionals in the healthcare setting to provide quality services and improve patient outcomes. There are three main philosophies of the counselling profession that include; wellness, resilience and prevention. Wellness involves adopting healthy habits that enhance physical and mental health, the quality of life, and the well-being of society. The social and spiritual model of wellness enables the nurse to understand a patient’s beliefs, social norms and cultural background (Iarussi & Shaw, 2016). Background information helps nurses understand the root cause of depression or a patient’s specific problem. Also, the information provided give the nurse a better view of the problem in the patient’s perspective and a professional view.
American psychologist Carl Rogers introduced the concept of counselling in 1942, just after World War 2. The main reason for introducing counselling was to help people focus on wellness, mindfulness, development and provide care for mentally ill people in society (Hansen et al., 2014). Wellness was the first philosophy of counselling that created a basis for the development of other philosophies, such as resilience and prevention. Good communication skills, ethics, and civility are the major skills that facilitate coordination between nurses and other experts to understand patient needs better and reduce medical errors.
People in a combat zone experience various challenges, which may lead to combat injury, combat-related chronic problems, and post-traumatic stress disorder (Reese & Lewis, 2019). Paul requires a multi-disciplinary approach that will help identify the root cause of Paul’s frustrations. Professional nurses can collaborate with nurses from other disciplines to collect information from Paul, his family, and information about the combat zone to find the correct solution for Paul.
Iarussi, M. M., & Shaw, B. M. (2016). A collaborative process model for promoting successful referrals in college counselling. Journal of College Counseling, 19(3), 261–275.https://doi.org/10.1002/jocc.12048
Hansen, J. T., Speciale, M., & Lemberger, M. E. (2014). Humanism: The foundation and future of professional counselling. The Journal of Humanistic Counseling, 53(3), 170-190.https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2161-1939.2014.00055.x
Reese, R. F., & Lewis, T. F. (2019). Greening counselling: Examining multivariate relationships between eco wellness and holistic wellness. The Journal of Humanistic Counseling, 58(1), 53–67.https://doi.org/10.1002/johc.12089