PSY 510 Week 3 Assignment Benchmark – Critical Thinking Essay
Benchmark – Critical Thinking Essay: PSY 510 Week 3 Assignment
The following is a list of acceptable topics that can be selected from. (Please note that this is a list of suggestions. A different topic can be selected if you have a preference for a topic that is not listed):
- Right to Die
- Drug Therapy
- Children and Medication
- Diagnosis of ADHD
- Television or Video Games and Violent Behavior
- Using Deception in Research
- Using Animals in Research
- Recovered Memories
Use the GCU library to locate two peer-reviewed articles on your chosen topic. The articles should argue opposite sides of the controversy.
In 1,250-1,500 words:
- Briefly explain the claims of both articles as well as the background of the controversy and how it became controversial. Including how historical perspectives and theories add to the controversy.
- Examine the evidence given in the articles and explain which article creates a stronger argument.
- Identify any logic fallacies that exist in both and explain what makes them logic fallacies (For a list of logical fallacies, follow this link https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/659/03/).
- Describe why the article’s argument is stronger than the other. Give examples from both. Include how current perspectives and theories support your rationale.
- Describe how the controversy you chose is applicable and significant to the world.
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to Turnitin. Please refer to the directions in the Student Success Center.
This benchmark assignment assesses the following programmatic competencies: 1.1: Describe key historical perspectives and theories in psychology, 1.2: Differentiate among current perspectives and theories in psychology, and 1.3: Describe applications of psychology.
PSY 510 Topic 3 DQ1
Discuss some practical ways that you practice self-care. How do your practices align with practical guidelines for self-care recommended by other psychologists? What are some risks associated with NOT practicing self-care?
PSY 510 Topic 3 DQ2
Give an example of how using deception in research can and should be used. Describe why the use of deception can be considered acceptable while some of the classic research methods are not. Provide examples when applicable